Monday, December 13, 2010

NyQuil is my Friend







Rambo Man and I have been fighting a cold off and on for the past two weeks, last night I lost the fight. I have been swigging NyQuil for the past 24 hours. Lots of fluids and naps all day. I did get the family tree decorated and the house vacuumed but that's it, didn't attempt to work on any candy or baking. I wouldn't want to eat anything a sick person cooked, don't want to pass this mess to anyone else. I do have the peanut brittle recipe I used over the weekend to share at the end of this post. I can't believe I even made peanut brittle in the microwave but I did and it was the best brittle I ever made. It is for sure a new keeper.
We picked up our family room tree after the Lawn Mower parade Saturday at the market, it was priced at $75.00 but they knocked the price down to $50.00 for us since we are such good customers and we send business their way. It was the smallest tree on the lot, they had some that were over $200.00, Holy Hannah that's nuts. We have 7 artificial trees around the house but Christmas wouldn't be complete without a REAL tree, the family room smells wonderful (so I have been told)HA.
Hope to feel better tomorrow so I can do a little more Merry making in the kitchen and I need to get some boxes ready to mail, but I am far enough ahead of the game nothing is really pressing other than this cold.

Peanut brittle
1 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanuts
1 tsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
Grease cookie sheet with butter, set aside
In a large microwave bowl combine sugar and syrup stir well, cook for 4 minutes in microwave, stir.

Add peanuts, stir then cook in microwave and additional 4 minutes

Add vanilla and butter, stir then microwave and additional 1 and 1/2 minutes

stir in baking soda and quickly pour on the cookie sheet, spread with a butters spatula or spoon

let cook 30 minutes or so. then break into pieces.
Make sure and soak the bowl you used in hot water, the brittle will set up fast.
My microwave cooks super fast so I cut the cook time down by :30 seconds at each step.

No comments:

Post a Comment