Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pantry Blessings

Night before last I received word a dear friends father had passed. The services will be today at graveside. My buddy lives in the Mountains, the weather is going to be brutal with 20 to 30 mile an hour winds and temps in the teens, the wind chill will be well below zero. I checked with her to see if any food had been brought in for the family for after the service. Deli trays, fruit, cheeses and such was what they were going to be having at the reception after the service. To me that wouldn't do after spending all that time in the outdoors so I got busy yesterday morning pulling ingredients from the pantry for warm food to take along today. First up was veggi soup.
After simmering on the stove a few hours all the dehydrated veggies plumped up nicely.  Blessing number 1 from the pantry.
I knew one pot would never be enough so on to chili again all from what I had on hand.
Since it was late notice I used commercially canned kidney beans as cooking up beans would have taken too much time. Blessing number 2 from the pantry.
Home made bread would be better than crackers I was thinking
4 loaves of artisan bread will be making the trip with me today. Blessing number 3 from the pantry
I had fears of the only sweets that would be on hand might be store bought cookies. Again I hit our supplies for some zucchini bread.
While at it I threw together banana bread
Blessing number 4 and 5 are zucchini breads and banana breads
I did run to the store to pick up paper goods as I don't want my buddy stuck doing dishes tonight
At the end of the day sweet Kara helped me wash up the dishes. Of course with all of her help mopping the floor afterwards was a breeze!!

Quick post as I am headed out the door to the mountains this morning. I had planned on staying overnight but with icy weather moving in overnight and tomorrow I will be coming back home late tonight. I HATE driving after dark but driving on snowy, icy roads would be much worse. Being able to put a warm meal together at a time like this is one of the many reasons I love our deep pantry. Knowing that the majority of the food I am taking was grown in our back yard or the local farm is an added bonus.

25 comments:

  1. Everything looks and sounds wonderful. What a dear person you are and I know your friend will be especially thankful for your generosity and tokens of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, she would do the same for me!

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for nicely stocked pantry! I think your friend will really appreciate everything. Stay safe on the road there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure did, she gives me a hard time over how much food we keep on hand sometimes but loves that I can whip up a meal for a crowd in no time and on a budget to boot! Ha

      Delete
  3. I'm new to your blog. Could you share about your dehydrated vegetables?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you Debby. You must be a wonderful friend to have and I'm sure they will be very grateful and overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she is a jewel of a friend to our whole family as are her parents

      Delete
  5. You are one wonderful lady. I salute you.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a wonderful friend and this world needs more people like you that are kind and resourceful.
    May God bless you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda, and thank you for running the pantry challenge I am loving it!

      Delete
  7. YOU never cease to amaze me. Safe trip xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No different than you sweet Cindy, we just live in a warmer climit! Ha well most of the time anyway!!

      Delete
  8. I too hope you had a safe trip. It was so thoughtful of you to make all that food for your friend and it looks yummy.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be safe my friend!! :) You are such a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a big heart and so much energy..I am amazed at what you can do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a good friend I was honured to be able to help in some way

      Delete
  11. Your friends will sooo enjoy!!! You know, I have noticed that people do not take home cooked goodies to funeral families like they used to. Convenience foods are JUST NOT THE SAME, are they!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A agree!! With so many ladies working outside the home I know it's hard for them to do much cooking for others. Use to be families could eat for weeks with all that was brought in

      Delete
  12. What a feast you made and you are so sweet to do that!

    ReplyDelete