Monday, January 5, 2015

Meal Plan For the First Week

 Sometimes I just can't pass up a deal :) When the grands were decorating our  tree this year they were fascinated with the old Bucilla ornament kits I had made for their Mommy's when they were little. Winne the Pooh, Sesame Street, Strawberry Shortcake, and some beautiful Angels. As luck would have it I found some ornament kits at 1/2 off. They seem to be all into the "Elf on the Shelf" deal so of course I had to get that one. Papaw is a polar bear fanatic, the little girls love "snowman's" into the cart it went :)
 All of the grands love Christmas Villages, better get that set too. Last but not least I found a really cute Halloween ornament kit they will like for their Halloween trees.
 I do believe I have more that enough handwork to keep me busy in the evenings this winter.
Now for the meal plan this week. Most of the holiday leftovers have been used up, just a few things are still hanging around. I worked those leftovers into this weeks meal plan for dinners and lunches, waste not want not. I may end up moving meals around a bit during the week but these will be the meals no matter what :)

Monday - Taco's  - need to use up some shredded cheese, lettuce and tomatoes

Tuesday - Pepper Steak - use up the last tomato and bell pepper

Wednesday - Potato soup with Kielbasa and sauerkraut,  potatoes need to be used up, kielbasa and sauerkraut leftover from the weekend

Thursday - Hamburgers with Swiss cheese and mushrooms. I bought too much Swiss cheese for a holiday recipe

Friday - Salisbury Steak with mashed potato's, this should knock those extra taters out

Saturday - Vegetable soup, this is a great way to end the week. Any leftover veggies from the week will be saved to throw in the pot, that along with some dehydrated veggies will make some great leftovers for lunches the next week

Sunday - TBD, never know what the big and little kiddo's might want :)

I will of course be doing some sort of  baking as we are THANKFULLY out of Christmas cookies and candies :)

Do you think having a meal plan helps you get dinner on the table and save money? I can do pretty good flying by the seat of my pants for the most part but there is something about January that has me wanting no NEEDING a list and a plan :)

2 comments:

  1. I've planned out Monday -Thursday so far using up ingredients and making kid friendly choices for the 2 nights grands will be here for supper.
    Like you, I looked to see what we have and what needs used soon,
    Last night I made fajitas, i sauted an onion and bell pepper and the meat was some leftover grilled chicken. It might of been our best fajitas ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the life of me I cannot use a meal plan. After I make one, I usually don't want those types of meals. I do though, make everything into something so the freezer is full - my kids like raiding it.

    ReplyDelete